Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Spotify is the Future



Over the past few weeks, news has been spreading about a new music site called Spotify.com. It's been around for a while but only recently has it become available to the United States. What makes it so cool? I had to look into this and now that I finally got my invite I can say that this program is the future. Spotify essentially gives you access to every song and album out there on request and allows you to access it from anywhere. Currently, the free version only lets you access new music through your computer but with premium comes the mobile option as well as other cool features.

Think of something that's a mix of Pandora, Grooveshark, and Itunes all rolled into one and completely free. I've only had this thing for a day and I'm already addicted. With the ability to transfer my own music in addition to getting more music I can't really think of a reason to keep things like Itunes on my laptop. Granted, Spotify doesn't let you actually save new music and acts more like a streaming network. Yet, even with this fact I still can't figure out how Spotify is legal. I can still make playlists and have access to much more songs than with Grooveshark, my now ex-favorite station. The only thing that doesn't seem to be available is the radio option (like with Pandora) that creates a station out of a certain genre or artist. Or, at least, there isn't one worth remembering. Only if a very well known artist is searched will an option appear and even then, the choices of broadening the station are limited. Other than the radio difficulties I see no reason why Spotify shouldn't become the next big thing for the internet. Here's hoping Apple doesn't sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment